"Should"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

Dear All,

How is "should" rendered in the Pali? For example, "I should meditate so I can make wisdom arise."

Sincerely,

Scott.

#2 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(Scott Duncan @ May 13 2006, 10:23 PM) View Post
Dear All,

How is "should" rendered in the Pali? For example, "I should meditate so I can make wisdom arise."

Sincerely,

Scott.

Dear Scott,

There are several ways I can think of, though I am by no means an expert on Pali grammar.

1) use the imperative case:

ahaṃ paāya uppajjanassa jhāyāmi
I, for the arising of wisdom, should (must) meditate.

2) use the future passive participle:

Jhānaṃ me bhāvetabbaṃ paāya uppajjanassa
Meditation should be developed by me for the arising of wisdom

3) use the conditional:

sace paaṃ uppādetuṃ icchāmi, ahaṃ jhāyeyyaṃ

If I wish to give rise to wisdom, I should (would) meditate.

While I am not sure of my grammar in any of these examples, it should be clear that each of the three types of sentence is a possibility. The best idea would be to read the entire tipitaka in Pali before composing such sentences, along with the commentaries as time permits. Then you could get a better idea of what was used by those who used the language themselves.

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

Note: I have edited my post, realizing that uppanna = arisen, and uppajjana = arising.

#3 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(Yuttadhammo @ May 13 2006, 05:50 PM) View Post

While I am not sure of my grammar in any of these examples, it should be clear that each of the three types of sentence is a possibility. The best idea would be to read the entire tipitaka in Pali before composing such sentences, along with the commentaries as time permits. Then you could get a better idea of what was used by those who used the language themselves.

Dear Venerable Yuttadhammo,

I'll get right on it. See you in a decade or so. Thanks, by the way. I'll study these examples in my own grammar text.

Sincerely,

Scott.

#4 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE(Scott Duncan @ May 14 2006, 08:15 AM) View Post

Dear Venerable Yuttadhammo,

I'll get right on it. See you in a decade or so. Thanks, by the way. I'll study these examples in my own grammar text.

Sincerely,

Scott.

smile.gif Let me know how it goes... I still haven't read the whole thing in English...

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo