Favourite First Abhidhamma Text or Commentary

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:35 AM

Hello All,

I've been reading here and there in a voracious fashion from the Abhidhamma literature. I want to slow down and form for myself a more ordered and systematic reading programme. I'd be very interested to hear from the "veterans" your recommendations and experience from your own programmatic reading.

Thanks for the consideration.

Sincerely,

Scott.

#2 phil

phil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:15 PM

Hello Scott

I'm a newcomer to Abhidhamma too, so reply more out of a sense of kindred spirit rather than a veteran offering advice, but I find that going back to the beginning and reading the same things I read with more patient reflecting is helpful. I have been rereading and rereading ch. 1 of ADL for close to a month now, though not everday - it is revealing to me how little of even the most fundamental points of Abhidhamma I have begun to understand - but that's me.

Phil

#3 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(phil @ May 6 2006, 05:15 PM) View Post

Hello Scott

I'm a newcomer to Abhidhamma too, so reply more out of a sense of kindred spirit rather than a veteran offering advice, but I find that going back to the beginning and reading the same things I read with more patient reflecting is helpful. I have been rereading and rereading ch. 1 of ADL for close to a month now, though not everday - it is revealing to me how little of even the most fundamental points of Abhidhamma I have begun to understand - but that's me.

Phil

Dear Phil,

Hi! Okay, good call. I've read ADL, but I like the suggestion to do a daily review. I'm in the same boat as you for sure. I'll take up on your good example.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Scott.