Devas and Humans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:37 AM

Dear All,

I've wondered, from time to time, about the differences between existence in the Deva realms and existence in the human realm. Can anyone suggest a source where I can learn about whether Deva/Devi have any advantage in relation to opportunities to practise? I've understood birth in a Deva realm to be a good destination, yet it is also said that so is birth as a human.

Sincerely,

Scott.

#2 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, Meditation, DTP, Font Editing, Web Publishing

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:15 AM

Who have the best opportunity to practice the Dhamma — the wise or the wealthy?

Being a deva/devī is like being wealthy.

The wealthy can also be wise. If the poor are wise, they can still practice the Dhamma, perhaps with an even greater sense of urgency (samvega) than wise and wealthy persons might do, though they might have physical hardships and less free time.

The Dhamma should be practised in the present moment, without any concern for the next existence. If you practise the Dhamma well, rebirth in the fortunate realms of existence is assured. If you don't practise diligently, rebirth in the lower realms is the most likely outcome.

#3 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Bhikkhu Pesala @ Jun 11 2006, 03:15 AM) View Post

The Dhamma should be practised in the present moment, without any concern for the next existence. If you practise the Dhamma well, rebirth in the fortunate realms of existence is assured. If you don't practise diligently, rebirth in the lower realms is the most likely outcome.

Dear Venerable Pesala,

Thank you. You're correct. Even concern for the beings now existing as devas/devis is beyond the mark. To be honest, I can see that my question in part is still coming out of the vicissitudes of grief. Things take time.

Sincerely,

Scott.