• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

Nina van Gorkom wrote me saying her computer can't read the pali accent marks properly.
She has an Apple mac computer (why, is another question smile.gif tongue.gif ).
Can firefox, Opera or the cscd scripts work with pali and mac?
Robert

#2 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, Meditation, DTP, Font Editing, Web Publishing

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

A Mac user on the Opera forums tells me he can see the diacritics fine using Opera 9 beta. I expect it will therefore work fine in the latest official release for the Mac too.

I would suggest that Nina tries with Opera. It may be easier than you trying to recode this site to work with Safari. The site looks really smart by the way.

The latest version of Opera for Mac OS can be downloaded from here. It should run fine concurrently with other browsers, allowing users to get accustomed to the changes gradually.

The Opera Mac Users forum would be the place to ask questions specific to MAC OS. You will find some Tutorials for getting started with Opera on the Opera Wiki site.

#3 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

A Gentleman and a scholar; and a venerable Bhikkhu; AND very knowledgeable about internet and pali! A most helpful combination indeed.
Thank you
Robert
p.s.Thanks for the comment about the forum look.

#4 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 20 2006, 10:46 PM) View Post
Nina van Gorkom wrote me saying her computer can't read the pali accent marks properly.
She has an Apple mac computer (why, is another question smile.gif tongue.gif ).
Can firefox, Opera or the cscd scripts work with pali and mac?
Robert

Dear Robert,

Since there are many different encodings being used on this site, maybe you could ask Nina which ones she is not able to read? I see that Suan is even using the ones from the CSCD (as you say, "why, is another question"). I seem to remember some of the posts you copied over from other forums not showing correctly, but I can't find them now. I think it had more to do with the actual characters used themselves, rather than the browser in use - I can read both the ūṅīcoḍe and cha””ha saȘg±yana (but cannot figure out how to display it using this text editor), using Firefox 1.5 - I can't imagine Safari having a problem with it, unless one is using an outdated version of the software.

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#5 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

Dear Venerable Yuttadhammo, Venerable Pesala, Nina and Suan,
Perhaps one solution is that we not only put the pali with pali accents but also the vethius version so that even without the right browser anyone can read it.

Ven. Yuttadhammo,
your comment about CSCD encodings- do you mean that is complicated or not the best method for reading?

Nina wrote that she downloaded opera as per ven, Pesala's instruction but it didn't open. Nina, if you are reading this did you check in your program list? it might be there and all you need to do is click on it to start the browser up.
with respect
Robert

#6 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 22 2006, 08:29 PM) View Post

Ven. Yuttadhammo,
your comment about CSCD encodings- do you mean that is complicated or not the best method for reading?

Dear Robert,

Neither, but since it requires every reader to have the VRI fonts installed, it is a less than ideal scheme. Also, I am surprised to see anyone typing in it, as it requires inserting symbols that are not found on the keyboard. I can't even figure out how he got the font to display correctly smile.gif

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#7 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hello everyone! smile.gif Its 2006 already, or 2550 if you're a Buddhist.

It is time to upgrade your computers and software to work with Unicode and stop messing about with outdated Pāli font encodings like Leeds Pāḷi, Norman, VRI, and Velthuis.

My old PC dates from late 2001, and I'm using Windows ME, but I can still view text in Unicode fonts and type with them.

#8 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:36 AM

Dear Venerable,
Am I right in thinking that firefox and Opera work fine with unicode and pali but IE has problems?

http://en.wikipedia....erating_systems
Web
Main article: Unicode and HTML
Web browsers have been supporting severals UTFs, especially UTF-8, for many years now. Display problems result primarily from font related issues. In particular Internet Explorer doesn't render many code points unless it is explicitly told to use a font that contains them.
with respect
Robert

#9 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:53 AM

Internet Explorer also displays Unicode just fine on my PC.

Tools, Internet Options, Fonts, and choose Gentium or another Unicode font for Latin based text.