• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Albalu

Albalu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

Saya John Earl Coleman was a direct pupil of Sayagi U Ba Khin, the teacher of SN Goenka as well.

Saya Coleman still teaches himself, although he is now quite old as we may imagine. It is a rare experience to have the possibility to learn Vipassana Meditation with a Master who got the right to teach from Sayagi U Ba Khin himself.

Not only is it rare, it is also an extraordinary experience, a very profound 10-day retreat that Saya John Coleman gives with all his heart and full of loving kindness and compassion.

Saya Coleman teaches in Italy and in Thailand. You may get his program from:

http://www.imcitalia...se/introimc.htm

The course is in English, although the site is mostly in Italian, but you can register in English too.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you the address, given that I really enjoyed that 10-day Vipassana meditation retreat tongue.gif

#2 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

HI Albalu
I read John's book some 20 years ago, didn't know he was still teaching. Here is part of the homepage(from your link) translated with google language tool.

// presentation John Coleman in England
Nacque therefore the I.M.C. UK, that it gave life to the residential Center of Splatts House, of which John Coleman was president until 1985. In that year John Coleman it was discharged from the presidency of the Center separating itself of fact, as before he it had made Sri Goenka, from the direction of the I.M.C of Rangoon that, from the dead women of Sayagyi U-Ba-Khin, came directed from its birmani disciples. In the successive year John Coleman continued the instruction of the several Dhamma in Europe near groups of its students, comprised that Italian; he was therefore between 1985 and 1986 that between we matured the idea to found stable a residential Center.

Presentation the Birth Of the IMC

John Coleman in that period was inclined to teach liberations ovunque was demanded its job, without organizational structures that the vincolassero ones. He was therefore only after numerous insistences that he accepted, for our great benefit, to assume the spiritual guide of the I.M.C Italy, that he wished to call just therefore in Teaching memory of the Sayagyi U-Ba-Khin.

John Coleman had often expressed its perplexities with regard to the associative and organizational structures. On one side they are necessary, poichè obviously no activity can exist if it does not have a minimum of structure, if not there are responsibility and assignments, if not there is someone that is taken care to carry out the necessary duties. On the other hand but the organization, the assignments, i roles etc can easy and quickly to carry to rigid and unhealthy situations, in which he who it carries out a role is identified with the role, cosicchè while it is convinced to work in order to serve the Dhamma runs the risk to find itself unconsciously to act and to operate like if the Dhamma existed in order to justify its role.

Centers of meditation are born therefore that feel more Centers of the others, “old students” that feel more students of the others and age without gain, practicing young people that they know all on as the “true Dhamma” in the world must be developed, adjuvant that resist on their strong shoulders the weight of the true understanding of Sila, Samadi and Pangia etc etc

The attitude of John Coleman made that, also with all the defects and the deficiencies of the world, were born around the I.M.C.Italia a enough lay organization also towards “the ideology of the organization”, and enough fluid roles were created to which, all adding, nobody held excessive. Although that, the necessary things came made, and the activity of the Center had way to continue with happening till now, creating the atmosphere and the conditions that are necessary to the development of the practical one.

#3 Albalu

Albalu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

Thank you RobertK, for the translation of IMC Italy text. Yes, he still teaches, for how long, we do not know. I found it great to be able to get direct teaching from Sayagi U Ba Khin's pupil, and someone who has been practising Vipassana and teaching it for so many years. Anyway, just to share this possibility to learn Vipassana. smile.gif

#4 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ Oct 1 2006, 11:57 AM) View Post

Here is part of the homepage(from your link) translated with google language tool.

Anyone here with Italian language skills, who would would edit this google translation into a more readable one?

I would appreciate, thanks.

#5 Albalu

Albalu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

Attached File  Vipassana_IMC_Italy.pdf   43.44KB   82 downloadsAttached File  Vipassana_IMC_Italy.pdf   43.44KB   82 downloads
QUOTE(Wolfgang @ Mar 24 2007, 01:56 PM) View Post

Anyone here with Italian language skills, who would would edit this google translation into a more readable one?

I would appreciate, thanks.

[font=Arial][size=2][color=#3333FF]

Dear Wolfagang,

Since I posted the message on John Coleman, the IMC (Italy) have added some stuff on their site.

There is a document all in English at: http://www.imcitalia.....0a course2_uk. I also saved it for you and send it as an attachment.

The text that you wish translated explains who John Coleman is (ex-CIA, turned to Vipassana to find a quiet mind), how he came to Vipassana (after several attempts with several monks and masters, he met Sayagi U Bha Kin in Burma), how IMC Italiy was set-up (basically, John Coleman created it after leaving his position as head of IMC (UK) and also what Vipassana is. The latest point is described in the file attached.
Happy read !

#6 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

Dear Albalu,

thanks for that very fast reply and the attachment.

Now, does anyone have any background knowledge - why at the UK-IMC side they write:

'There are six International Meditation Centres in the Sayagyi U Ba Khin Tradition:

in Myanmar, England, Western Australia, East Australia , U.S.A. and Austria.'

.. and the IMC Italy is left out?

#7 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:27 PM

Dear All,

someone said:

Based on my understanding of this tradition, the "kick-out" that you experienced is par for the course. Are you aware that Goenkaji himself was expunged from the lineage in a dispute with Mother Sayama? He was kicked out. And how did he react? Apparently he did not react at all. He simply continued along the path.

Ruth Denison also was kicked out. This tradition is hilarious in that respect, with people kicking each other out, creating these illusionary divisions between "us" and "them," between "I" and "you." What is it about this Vipassana tradition that makes us love to kick people out?

This must be what U Ba Khin had in mind ..
On Being Cautious
(excerpt of a discourse during a 10-day IMC Vipassana course)

Passati passo passantam apassantan ca passati;
Apassanto apassantam passantan ca na passati.

He who sees, sees who can see and who cannot see.
He who cannot see, sees neither the one that does not see nor the one that sees.

Theragatha, 61

This is the verse pronounced by Vappa, the second of the group of five disciples to get established in the Dhamma. He spoke this verse on the fifth day of the Buddha's teaching them, after they all attained Arahatship. Sayagyi U Ba Khin used to qote this verse quite often when he gave Dhamma talks, because, he said, if one becomes a meditation teacher he will have to encounter Mara, who works against the Dhamma. Mara will play his role, attacking from close by and from far away. So one must be very careful. If a person cannot see with his own wisdom, Mara will come and disturb him in various ways.

Sayagyi reminded his close disciples of this, and he said once, "Hey, Mara won't necessarily come from a long way off. If you aren't strong in your anicca (appreciation of continual change), if you aren't living with your anicca, Mara will attack me through you. He will attack the inner circle, my close disciples." At one time, Sayagyi put up a notice at IMC-Yangon, saying that when the Dhamma grows it's necessary for the close disciples to be very careful. Otherwise, Mara will pay his part. Through you, he will attack the Dhamma, attack the mission. He will attack everyone.

kind regards ..