Nanayāna

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(RobertK @ Jul 21 2006, 02:13 AM) View Post

Heh. My take is that when it comes to Theravada the more fundamentalist one is the better.
Why? Because it is the true doctrine!

Robert

Fundamentally, I agree.

S.

#22 Richard

Richard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Human rights activism. Sunshowers - Socially Engaged Buddhism Forums

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(RobertK @ Jul 21 2006, 01:13 AM) View Post

Heh. My take is that when it comes to Theravada the more fundamentalist one is the better.
Why? Because it is the true doctrine!

Robert

Its all linguistics and perspective, isn't it? biggrin.gif There has been a lot of talk of "fundamentalist good" and "fundamentalist bad", etc. And how extreme both sides are in the eyes of the other. Silly. "Fundamentalism" simply comes from "fundamentals" ... meaning the bare bones basics. Isn't that all Theravada is? Especially compared to Mahayana. So really, any of us studying Theravadin suttas are fundamentalists.

Richard

#23 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:57 AM

Thanks Richard
The reason the term 'Fundamentalist" has such bad press is that if you are say a Fundamental Muslim/Christian then you take the texts of your religion very seriously. In the case of the Koran/hadiths/Old testament these include exhortations to kill Non-believers etc.
Hence for the followers of these religions it is much better if they are not Fundamentalists- better they don"t take their scriptures seriously.
For the Theravadan we have exhortations to never even feel resentment if someone was sawing us up, never to seek revenge. etc etc. The Theravadan Fundamentalist would be harmless to all.
Robert

#24 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(Richard @ Jul 21 2006, 08:16 AM) View Post

Its all linguistics and perspective, isn't it? There has been a lot of talk of "fundamentalist good" and "fundamentalist bad", etc. And how extreme both sides are in the eyes of the other. Silly. "Fundamentalism" simply comes from "fundamentals" ... meaning the bare bones basics. Isn't that all Theravada is? Especially compared to Mahayana. So really, any of us studying Theravadin suttas are fundamentalists.

Richard

Dear Richard,

Hello. Yeah, it is all linguistics and perspective. I appreciate what you say about "bare bones basics" (apart from the brilliant alliteration). There has been such a proliferation, over the centuries, of wrong view. I'm no scholar of Buddhist history but one might think, after a cursory glance, that the hard and deep Dhamma has been slowly obliterated to create a more user-friendly Dhamma which is, in my opinion, just so much interesting and sophistic philosophical creativity.

With loving kindness,

Scott.

#25 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Bhikkhu Pesala @ Jul 13 2006, 11:19 PM) View Post
The sectarians at E-Sangha finally came back from holiday and deleted my post. These people really are too stupid to understand the Dhamma. Henry suspended me again for alleged "sect-bashing."

biggrin.gif

Dear Bhante,

Well, at least you were suspended for a good cause. I am now suspended from the E-Sangha for seven days (as though I might ever go back) by Herr Namdrol for threatening him. What an unmonkly thing to do biggrin.gif

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#26 Lawrence

Lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:44 PM

Dear Friends,
I think that compassion is the best reason to keep the dhamma as correct as possible . If someone walks up to you on the street and asks directions ,you of course give them directions, as best you can.

Metta
Lawrence

#27 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

Dear Venerable Yuttadhammo,
I am now suspended from the E-Sangha for seven days (as though I might ever go back) by Herr Namdrol for threatening him.

I watched all of that. Your seven days hard time must almost be over. The whole thing seemed strange to me - on a Theravada forum. Well, didn't the Buddha leave the yakkha's vimaana after he realised that the yakkha was getting all messed up over His being there (Udaana I think)?

Hope they fed you while in the internet bardo. Where does one go for alms round?
Sincerely,

Scott.

#28 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, Meditation, DTP, Font Editing, Web Publishing

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

I looked at the Anatrabhava thread some time ago, but stayed out of it. As far as I am concerned it is not worth discussing since the Buddha never taught any such doctrine.

I just read the thread, and see that Namdrol cannot control his speech to refrain from sarcasm.
I did not realize that all Theravadins were bound by rigid dogmatism that was unfailingly hostile to any point of view not approved by the Theravada Committe For Orthodoxy and Right Thinking [TCORT].

Or perhaps it should be The House Committe for UnTheravadin Activities [HCUA]?

Adimittedly, you were asking for it by referring to him as Herr Namdrol.
Oh yes of course, how stupid of me-- how dare a lowly layperson even have an opinion, much less an opinion about Dharma?

I see no evidence at all that Namdrol respects the Theravāda tradition. Censorship of bhikkhus provides ample evidence of his lack of respect for the Theravāda, as do these comments.
Your perception that I lack respect for Theravada is not in line with the reality of the situation.
The Kathavatthu was written during the time of Ashoka by an man whose name we know summarizing the various controversies.

So the Arahant Moggilaputtatissa Thera was "an man"? He is regarded by the Theravādins as an Arahant, the convenor of the Third Council, and author of the Kathavatthu. Besides, he was a senior bhikkhu, not "an man."
Admins of course have the power of life and death.

This priceless comment says it all.

I guess there is no solution. Who wishes to post at E-Sangha when threatened with instant death if one says anything that is disagreeable to Namdrol?

#29 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

Admins of course have the power of life and death.

Hi All, Venerables,

It seems to be quite a pattern on e-sangha to delete unwanted opinions. Although my case was more trivial - being kicked out of Goenka's organisation for not believing blindly - nevertheless I was really surprised how fast all those existing threads - critical of Goenka's organization - to which I added a post to (with a link to my critical website) were deleted! (4 complete treads, and in one my post only)
Even though my posts were really not as dispising as some before me. - How strange ?!

The lession out of this: I just put up my own board - and really wonder how I will be able to handle this power of life and death of free expressions in differing opinions!? sad.gif

#30 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, Meditation, DTP, Font Editing, Web Publishing

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Wolfgang @ Aug 19 2006, 08:42 PM) View Post
The lession out of this: I just put up my own board - and really wonder how I will be able to handle this power of life and death of free expressions in differing opinions!? sad.gif

Check out the Milgram Experiment and the Stanford Prison Experiment.

#31 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

”Your Majesty, why should one who follows the path leading to supreme enlightenment, who is like the lion, king of beasts, salute those who follow the Hinayana, who are like jackals?

Your Majesty, if one is already engaged in a virtuous effort to seek the great, pure path, should he associate with S'raavakas of small and few good roots?

Your Majesty, if a person wishes to go to sea of great wisdom to seek thorough knowledge of the great Dharma in its entirety, does he bother to turn to S'raavakas, whose knowledge, based upon the Buddha's oral teachings, is as limited as the water in a cow's hoof print?

Your Majesty, if one wishes top reach Buddhahood, [the spiritual] Mount Sumeru, and acquire the infinite body of a Tathaagata, should he pay homage to S'raavakas, who seek only as much samaadhi power as could be confined to the space of a tiny mustard seed?” [And on and on and on] -- A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras, Garma Chang page 116.
”Your Majesty, why should one who follows the path leading to supreme enlightenment, who is like the lion, king of beasts, salute those who follow the Hinayana, who are like jackals?

Your Majesty, if one is already engaged in a virtuous effort to seek the great, pure path, should he associate with S'raavakas of small and few good roots?

Your Majesty, if a person wishes to go to sea of great wisdom to seek thorough knowledge of the great Dharma in its entirety, does he bother to turn to S'raavakas, whose knowledge, based upon the Buddha's oral teachings, is as limited as the water in a cow's hoof print?

Your Majesty, if one wishes top reach Buddhahood, [the spiritual] Mount Sumeru, and acquire the infinite body of a Tathaagata, should he pay homage to S'raavakas, who seek only as much samaadhi power as could be confined to the space of a tiny mustard seed?” [And on and on and on] -- A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras, Garma Chang page 116.

what mahayana think about the lesser vehicle..

#32 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:26 AM

what mahayana think about the lesser vehicle..

Hi Rob,

Sure, but "...what should I expect?"

http://www.accesstoi...0.080.than.html

If one has only one tool--a hammer (i.e. samadhi)--in one's toolbox, the world begins to look like a nail. This is already ancient history.

mike

#33 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(mike @ May 29 2008, 04:26 AM) View Post

Sure, but "...what should I expect?"

AN 10.80 - Aghata Sutta - Hatred - Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"There are these ten ways of subduing hatred. Which ten?

[1] "Thinking, 'He has done me harm. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[2] "Thinking, 'He is doing me harm. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[3] "Thinking, 'He is going to do me harm. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[4] "Thinking, 'He has done harm to people who are dear & pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[5] "Thinking, 'He is doing harm to people who are dear & pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[6] "Thinking, 'He is going to do harm to people who are dear & pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[7] "Thinking, 'He has aided people who are not dear or pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[8] "Thinking, 'He is aiding people who are not dear or pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[9] "Thinking, 'He is going to aid people who are not dear or pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[10] "One does not get worked up over impossibilities.

"These are ten ways of subduing hatred."

Thanks for the hint to this little Sutta, Mike. Recently I suffered serious hatred attacks due to the appalling corrupt behaviour of superiours at my working place. And these few wise words helped me to place it into a more healthy context again (beside other things).

kind regards..

#34 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Wolfgang @ Jun 22 2008, 01:47 AM) View Post

Thanks for the hint to this little Sutta, Mike. Recently I suffered serious hatred attacks due to the appalling corrupt behaviour of superiours at my working place. And these few wise words helped me to place it into a more healthy context again (beside other things).

kind regards..

My pleasure, Wolfgang--and thanks a million for the link.

mike