And delight.

- Dhammapada Verse 68

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

http://groups.yahoo....messages/133102

In Dhammastudygroup, Yahoo Group, Sarah Abbott wrote:

sarah abbott
Today at 06:34 AM
Dear Friends,

A small group of friends had travelled long distances just to hear the Dhamma for 3 days in Kaeng Krachan with A.Sujin, Alberto had come from Italy for this opportunity, Tadao from Japan, Cindy from Hong Kong (first time to meet her) and ourselves. Jagkrit and family also attended.

First qu from Cindy in the "Hot Seat": Why isn't the world getting better?

AS: No understanding. What is the world? That which arises. So what arises in the world?

Afternoon Cindy's first qu: How did you come to this realization - in meditation or what?

AS: like anyone.... gradual development of understanding. Anatta.

Qu: Do you meditate?

AS: What do you mean?

Qu: Staying in the present moment....

AS: What for, how, what is it?

Qu: Being quiet....

AS: Who is doing so? Always "I" as long as there is no understanding of whatever appears.
Tadao raised questions about the Mangala Sutta and the value of the suitable place, associating with the wise, avoiding harmful people etc

AS: It is panna which sees the harm of being with wicked people, not "I" who tries to disassociate or go somewhere else. The Mangala suttta (or any other suttas) are not about "I" who tries to do this or that. Anatta.

Tadao mentioned that in the Thai session on Sunday, Ajahn had asked people to consider whether they came to the Foundation with saddha or attachment. If it's with the idea that "I" will get understanding, it's not proper. Ajahn stressed that she'd like people to come for the sake of understanding, not just to get something for themselves. The Big Boss of lobha doesn't understand no self at all. I mentioned there are usually different cittas involved and Ajahn said that this is why we discuss asavas (intoxicants), oghas (floods) and yogas (yokes) so that the more subtle attachments can be known too.
The Buddha never urged anyone to go anywhere without understanding. "I expect to understand by listening to dhamma.." - wrong practice.

Each citta itself is pandara, pure, but the accompanying akusala cetasikas make it dirty. Pabhassara, luminous, referring to bhavanga and kusala cittas only.

Alberto asked more questions or arammanupanissaya paccaya and upanissaya gocara etc as recently mentioned by Lukas, but now too tired and with my cold I need to get back to rest, so will try to add more tomorrow.....

Metta

Sarah
======