19 replies to this topic

#1 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

Dear Robert K and all

How are you? I sent this post to test VriRomanPali CN font from CSCD version 3. It works with IE6 without needing other Internet Browsers. All you need is download this Pali font from Vipassana Research Institute web site and install it in your Windows system folder. Here are their links:
http://www.tipitaka.org
http://www.vri.dhamma.org

After installing VriRomanPali CN font in your windows system folder, click Tools menu on your IE6 browser, then click Internet Options, and then click font menu and select VriRomanPali font for your browser. Then, click Ok button.

That is all you need do to see the correct Pali fonts.

Please check the following Section from S±maññaphalasutta½.

c³¼as²la½

194. “Kathañca, mah±r±ja, bhikkhu s²lasampanno hoti? idha, mah±r±ja, bhikkhu p±º±tip±ta½ pah±ya p±º±tip±t± paµivirato hoti. nihitadaº¹o nihitasattho lajj² day±panno sabbap±ºabh³tahit±nukamp² viharati. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Adinn±d±na½ pah±ya adinn±d±n± paµivirato hoti dinn±d±y² dinnap±µikaªkh², athenena suci
bh³tena attan± viharati. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Abrahmacariya½ pah±ya brahmac±r² hoti ±r±c±r² virato methun± g±madhamm±. idampissa
hoti s²lasmi½.
“Mus±v±da½ pah±ya mus±v±d± paµivirato hoti saccav±d² saccasandho theto paccayiko avisa½
v±dako lokassa. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Pisuºa½ v±ca½ pah±ya pisuº±ya v±c±ya paµivirato hoti; ito sutv± na amutra akkh±t± imesa½
bhed±ya; amutra v± sutv± na imesa½ akkh±t±, am³sa½ bhed±ya. iti bhinn±na½ v± sandh±t±,
sahit±na½ v± anuppad±t±, samagg±r±mo samaggarato samagganand² samaggakaraºi½ v±ca½
bh±sit± hoti. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Pharusa½ v±ca½ pah±ya pharus±ya v±c±ya paµivirato hoti; y± s± v±c± nel± kaººasukh±
peman²y± hadayaªgam± por² bahujanakant± bahujanaman±p± tath±r³pi½ v±ca½ bh±sit± hoti.
idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Samphappal±pa½ pah±ya samphappal±p± paµivirato hoti k±lav±d² bh³tav±d² atthav±d²
dhammav±d² vinayav±d², nidh±navati½ v±ca½ bh±sit± hoti k±lena s±padesa½ pariyantavati½
atthasa½hita½. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“B²jag±mabh³tag±masam±rambh± paµivirato hoti …pe… ekabhattiko hoti ratt³parato virato
vik±labhojan±. naccag²tav±ditavis³kadassan± paµivirato hoti. m±l±gandhavilepanadh±raºama
º¹anavibh³sanaµµh±n± paµivirato hoti. ucc±sayanamah±sayan± paµivirato hoti. j±tar³parajatapaµi
ggahaº± paµivirato hoti. ±makadhaññapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. ±makama½sapaµiggahaº±
paµivirato hoti. itthikum±rikapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. d±sid±sapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. aje¼a
kapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. kukkuµas³karapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. hatthigavassava¼avapa
µiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. khettavatthupaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. d³teyyapahiºagaman±nuyog±
paµivirato hoti. kayavikkay± paµivirato hoti. tul±k³µaka½sak³µam±nak³µ± paµivirato hoti. ukkoµana-
vañcananikatis±ciyog± paµivirato hoti. chedanavadhabandhanavipar±mosa-±lopasahas±k±r±paµivirato hoti. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.

#2 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thank you! I installed the fonts and can read the Tipitaka online correctly at the http://www.tipitaka.org but not on this site. The webpage seems to be changing it back to another font.. I will keep trying.

#3 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 8 2006, 10:29 AM) View Post

Thank you! I installed the fonts and can read the Tipitaka online correctly at the http://www.tipitaka.org but not on this site. The webpage seems to be changing it back to another font.. I will keep trying.

Dear Robert and other interested users of CSCD fonts,

I can see the correct Pali fonts of CSCD version 3 on this forum on your web site, of course from my IE6 browser. To see those VriRomanPali CN fonts, you need to change the font display of your IE6 browser to VriRomanPali CN from among the list of fonts avialable on your system via Internet Options. After selecting this font, click Ok on the font menu, then click Ok on the Internet Options menu as well.

I believe you have CSCD version 3. I would like to double-check this font test. Could you copy and paste a Pali passage from the CSCD CD-ROM, post here on this thread.

Please do the following:

Before the Pali line starts, please write the code font=VriRomanPali CN. The code should be inside [ ].
Then, paste the copied Pali passage.
And then, right at the end of the pasted Pali passage, write the code /font. This code should also be inside [ ].

If your Widows system has this font, you will correctly see the passage with the right fonts. You can also preview your post before you finally send it. See what happens.

Good luck!

And, thanking you in adavnce

Suan

#4 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

Dear Suan,
I have tried this but my computer switches it back when I load the board. I will try another computer. It is very kind of you to help.

I have been trying to get a copy of the cscd 3 (I have the old version). But they are not replying to me in Japan. If anyone can get hold of a copy I can reimburse postage from anywhere in the world by paypal.

robert

#5 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:38 AM

Dear Suan,
Success! I got it to work on the computer in my office, now I just have to get it working on my home computers (where I do most of my work).
Robert

#6 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 9 2006, 02:28 PM) View Post

Dear Suan,
I have tried this but my computer switches it back when I load the board. I will try another computer. It is very kind of you to help.

I have been trying to get a copy of the cscd 3 (I have the old version). But they are not replying to me in Japan. If anyone can get hold of a copy I can reimburse postage from anywhere in the world by paypal.

robert

Dear Robert

Thank you for explaining the situation. How about setting the font to VriRoman Pali CN while you are already on the pages of the board? That is, select VriRomanPali CN font after having loaded the board.

After that, you could copy a Pali passage from www.tipitaka.org and paste here in this thread. See what happens.

CSCD 3 may be out of stock at the branch you contacted. How about contacting the branch in Rangoon, in Myanmar. They might have copies.

With regards,

Suan

#7 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 10 2006, 06:38 AM) View Post

Dear Suan,
Success! I got it to work on the computer in my office, now I just have to get it working on my home computers (where I do most of my work).
Robert

Dear Robert

Glad to hear the good news! Now please copy a Pali pasage from www.tipitaka.org and paste here for all to see.

Thanking you in advance.

Suan

#8 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

Dear Suan

I can read your post correctly, but the cut and paste I did below from Tipitaka.org didnt work..

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammアsambuddhassa.

Majjhimanikアyo

Mウlapaココアsapアシi

1. Mウlapariyアyavaggo

1. Mウlapariyアyasuttaス

1. Evaス me sutaス・ekaス samayaス bhagavア ukkaオオhアyaス viharati subhagavane sアlarアjamウle. Tatra kho bhagavア bhikkhウ アmantesi・澱hikkhavo杯i. 釘hadante杯i te bhikkhウ bhagavato paccassosuス. Bhagavア etadavoca・都abbadhammamウlapariyアyaス vo, bhikkhave, desessアmi. Taス suコアtha, sアdhukaス manasi karotha, bhアsissアmイ杯i. 摘vaス, bhante杯i kho te bhikkhウ bhagavato paccassosuス. Bhagavア etadavoca・/DD>
2. 的dha, bhikkhave, assutavア puthujjano ariyアnaス adassアvイ ariyadhammassa akovido ariyadhamme avinイto, sappurisアnaス adassアvイ sappurisadhammassa akovido sappurisadhamme avinイto・pathaviス [paオhaviス (sイ. syア. kaス. pイ.)] pathavito saアnアti; pathaviス pathavito saatvア pathaviス maati, pathaviyア maati, pathavito maati, pathaviス meti maati pathaviス abhinandati. Taス kissa hetu? 羨pariアtaス tassア稚i vadアmi.

#9 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 10 2006, 09:21 AM) View Post

Dear Suan

I can read your post correctly, but the cut and paste I did below from Tipitaka.org didnt work..

Dear Robert

How are you? I copied the following Pali passage from Section 1, Brahmaj±lasutta½ from www.tipitaka.org.

Please let me know if you see the Pali fonts correctly. I saw them correctly from my IE6 browser.

When I tried to test your copied passage, it didn't work either. In places where Pali fonts should appear, I saw Chinese characters.

It is odd! Odd because I saw maths symbols when I copy and paste Pali passages (in raw form ) from both CSCD version 3 and www.tipitaka.org.

I wonder if you are using Chinese or Japanese version of Windows or IE6. My versions of Windows and IE6 are, of course, the usual US English.

With regards,

Suan

1. Brahmaj±lasutta½

Paribb±jakakath±

1. Eva½ me suta½– eka½ samaya½ bhagav± antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti mahat± bhikkhusaªghena saddhi½ pañcamattehi bhikkhusatehi. Suppiyopi kho paribb±jako antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti saddhi½ antev±sin± brahmadattena m±ºavena. Tatra suda½ suppiyo paribb±jako anekapariy±yena buddhassa avaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa avaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa avaººa½ bh±sati; suppiyassa pana paribb±jakassa antev±s² brahmadatto m±ºavo anekapariy±yena buddhassa vaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa vaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa vaººa½ bh±sati. Itiha te ubho ±cariyantev±s² aññamaññassa ujuvipaccan²kav±d± bhagavanta½ piµµhito piµµhito anubandh± [anubaddh± (ka. s². p².)] honti bhikkhusaªghañca.

#10 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

Dear Suan
As you guessed I used a Japanese language computer for that copy and paste.
I just installed the new cscd3 (kindly sent to me by venerable Yuttadhammo) on my English windows computer and I can now read all your pastes correctly with all accent marks in explorer .

Does anyone know how to copy and paste from the cscd >? I can't find an edit button....
Robert

#11 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(RobertK @ Jun 13 2006, 08:02 AM) View Post

Dear Suan
As you guessed I used a Japanese language computer for that copy and paste.
I just installed the new cscd3 (kindly sent to me by venerable Yuttadhammo) on my English windows computer and I can now read all your pastes correctly with all accent marks in explorer .

Does anyone know how to copy and paste from the cscd >? I can't find an edit button....
Robert

Dear Robert and all

How are you?

To copy from CSCD 3, first highlight the Pali passage you want to copy, then press Contrl + C on your keyboard to copy it, and then finally press Contrl + V to paste on the open page of your Office Word or other compatible word processor. There you have it!

With regards,

Suan

#12 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hi Suan and Robert,

I already had VRIRomanPali and when I changed my browser font to it Suan's post displayed just fine. I believe Nina uses pCharter. I wonder if it would be good to use this as a standard browser font for those who would like to post and read using Paali diacriticals?

Thanks,

mike

#13 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

Got it! Thanks Suan.

#14 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

HI Again Suan
Can you see what am I doing wrong when I paste this excerpt?
Robert
samaya½ bhagav± antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti mahat± bhikkhusaªghena saddhi½ pañca
mattehi bhikkhusatehi. Suppiyopi kho paribb±jako antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti saddhi½ antev±sin± brahmadattena
m±ºavena. Tatra suda½ suppiyo paribb±jako anekapariy±yena buddhassa avaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa avaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa avaººa½ bh±sati; suppi
yassa pana paribb±jakassa antev±s² brahmadatto m±ºavo anekapariy±yena buddhassa vaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa vaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa vaººa½ bh±sati.
Itiha te ubho ±cariyantev±s² aññamaññassa ujuvipaccan²kav±d± bhagavanta½ piµµhito piµµhito anubandh± ‚01 honti bhikkhusaªghañca.
2. Atha kho bhagav± ambala

#15 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(mike @ Jun 14 2006, 01:12 AM) View Post

Hi Suan and Robert,

I already had VRIRomanPali and when I changed my browser font to it Suan's post displayed just fine. I believe Nina uses pCharter. I wonder if it would be good to use this as a standard browser font for those who would like to post and read using Paali diacriticals?

Thanks,

mike

Dear Mike,
Not sure using pcharter is good as most people don't use it. It is a font mainly used by zolag.co.uk to publish Nina's books but I don't think it is in wide use.
Robert

#16 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(RobertK @ Jun 13 2006, 10:53 PM) View Post

HI Again Suan
Can you see what am I doing wrong when I paste this except?
Robert
[font=VriRomanPali CN] samaya½ bhagav± antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti mahat± bhikkhusaªghena saddhi½ pañca
mattehi bhikkhusatehi. Suppiyopi kho paribb±jako antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti saddhi½ antev±sin± brahmadattena
m±ºavena. Tatra suda½ suppiyo paribb±jako anekapariy±yena buddhassa avaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa avaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa avaººa½ bh±sati; suppi
yassa pana paribb±jakassa antev±s² brahmadatto m±ºavo anekapariy±yena buddhassa vaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa vaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa vaººa½ bh±sati.
Itiha te ubho ±cariyantev±s² aññamaññassa ujuvipaccan²kav±d± bhagavanta½ piµµhito piµµhito anubandh± ‚01 honti bhikkhusaªghañca.
2. Atha kho bhagav± ambala [/font=VriRomanPali CN]

Dear Robert, Mike and all

How are you?

Robert, what you did wrong was [/font=VriRomanPali CN] at the end of the Pali passage quote.

The correct ending is simply /font in the [ ].

Please try it that way, and you will see the correct fonts in the passage.

--

Mike, the font for my IE browser is set to VriRomanPali CN all the time so that I can read the correct fonts from pasted Pali passages from CSCD 3.

I am sick and tired of changing maths symbols to aa, .t, .n and the like. :-)

Ivision Power Board used by this forum, and an early version of it used by Systems Theravada on the bodhiology website now allow us to display correct Pali fonts by just copy-and-paste from CSCD 3 and www.tipitaka.org, making life much easier when we quote Pali passages.

With regards,

Suan

#17 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Suan! I just edited the post and as you can see it reads nicely now.
Best
Robert

#18 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:47 PM

Hi Suan,

Understood! This is a valuable resource and makes sense if we must choose one

Thanks Again,

mike

Mike, the font for my IE browser is set to VriRomanPali CN all the time so that I can read the correct fonts from pasted Pali passages from CSCD 3.

I am sick and tired of changing maths symbols to aa, .t, .n and the like. :-)

Ivision Power Board used by this forum, and an early version of it used by Systems Theravada on the bodhiology website now allow us to display correct Pali fonts by just copy-and-paste from CSCD 3 and www.tipitaka.org, making life much easier when we quote Pali passages.

With regards,

Suan

#19 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:01 AM

http://yuttadhammo.s.../convertpad.htm
This is a great tool from Ven. Yuttadhammo that quickly and automatically converts cscd to unicode or velthius.

#20 mike

mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:09 AM

Hi Robert,

Yes, great, also from Velthuis to Unicode if that's of any use to you. I've thought that the use of Unicode could solve all of our diacritical display problems but I'm probably oversimplifying.

Thanks, Ven. Yuttadhammo,

mike