#2 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 15 2006, 04:42 PM) View Post

Dear Robert,

I just checked out the new BUDSIR V while in Bangkok, and it really is not that impressive. First of all, the formatting is terrible, making it difficult to read, and second the font is non-unicode, making it difficult to copy and paste (not to mention that copying and pasting is made unnecessarily difficult to start with). Here is a sample from the Vinaya Pitaka:

Vutta× yena yadŒ yasmŒ dhŒrita× yena cŒbhaŹa×
yatthappatiŹŹhita–ceta- meta× vatvŒ vidhintato
tenŒtiŒdipŒŹhassa attha× nŒnappakŒrato
dassayanto karissŒmi vinayassatthavaööananti.

Here is the equivalent from the CSCD:

Vutta½ yena yad± yasm±, dh±rita½ yena c±bhata½;
yatthappatiµµhitacetameta½ vatv± vidhi½ tato.
Ten±ti-±dip±µhassa, attha½ n±nappak±rato;
dassayanto kariss±mi, vinayassatthavaŗŗananti.

The BUDSIR CD seems to seperate words artificially, like "cetameta.m", which becomes "ceta- meta.m" in the above example. This is found throughout, and footnotes are crammed in between the page text with the only thing that sets them apart being the difference in colour (footnotes are grey by default).

Apart from that, it is funny to think the CD was created by the computer department, as the program itself is buggy and unreliable. It seems they spent most of their time and money figuring out how to prevent illegal copying of the disk, and very little on actual quality of the contents which would make it worth $125 US. At $125, I would think it only worth buying if it were necessary for you to have the Thai version of the Tipitaka on your computer (as opposed to the free CSCD, a much better program). Even so, I would consider carefully before making such a purchase, considering the low quality of the product. For almost the same price, one can obtain the 45 volume set in Pali from Bangkok (sans shipping, of course).

I am still looking for a PD version of the Thai-Pali Tipitaka. If I find one, maybe I can create a unicode version which is easier to read and free.

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#3 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:39 AM

Thanks! Very informative.
I will endeavour to get the latest cscd instead.
with respect
Robert

#4 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 16 2006, 10:39 AM) View Post
Thanks! Very informative.
I will endeavour to get the latest cscd instead.
with respect
Robert

Dear Robert,

I've converted the Thai Pali Tipitaka into Velthius and created a program which displays it in Unicode. I will post it here as soon as I fix a small problem with the characters. I think it is good to have the Thai version as well as the CSCD to compare the two. I am also working (slowly) on incorporating the Thai Pali Tipitaka into the DPR script.

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#5 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

very nice! Thank you venerable!

My old version 1 disc is not working properly and I still cannot get any reply from the Goenka centers about the CSCD 3, so am hampered a bit on pali participation
But once I finally get it I will be using tools like this. As I said in feedback it is good if we post the pali with accents and Velthius so everyone can benefit.
with respect
Robert

#6 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 28 2006, 07:00 PM) View Post
very nice! Thank you venerable!

My old version 1 disc is not working properly and I still cannot get any reply from the Goenka centers about the CSCD 3, so am hampered a bit on pali participation
But once I finally get it I will be using tools like this. As I said in feedback it is good if we post the pali with accents and Velthius so everyone can benefit.
with respect
Robert

Dear Robert,

The Thai Pali Tipitaka is now ready to download. The program is split into two parts for ease of updating, and can be downloaded from these two links:

http://yuttadhammo.s...es/ThaiPali.zip
http://yuttadhammo.s...aiPaliPages.zip

Once you have downloaded, unzip the two files in the same place, and they should create the directory "ThaiPali". Open the directory and run index.htm. Works on Firefox and IE 7 Beta 2, and should be cross-platform (ie work on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc)

Also, I can send you a copy of the CSCD 3 if you like; I don't think it is copyrighted.

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo