• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mina

mina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:25 AM

[size=5]Hello,everyone. I am a newcomer. My name is Mina, I am a girl living in Japan.
Would you tell me the meaning of "Abhidhamma" and "Vipassana". I can't check their means in my dictionary.

#2 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, Meditation, DTP, Font Editing, Web Publishing

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hello Mina

Welcome to the Abhidhamma Vipassana forum. You can learn something about Buddhism here.

Abhidhamma means the Higher Teaching, or profound teaching. When the Buddha was teaching ordinary people he use the conventional language that they could easily understand — man, woman, horse, dog, happy, sad, clever, beautiful, etc. However, when teaching the monks and well educated people who practised meditation he taught using terms like — mind, matter, perception, mental formations, feeling, consciousness, etc. It is the Analytical teaching of Buddhism, or Buddhist psychology.

Vipassanā means insight. When we systematically observe our own body and mind in meditation, we can gradually understand the subtle and rapidly changing mental and physical processes, which are in fact always changing, but which we generally imagine are stable and under our control.

#3 mina

mina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:26 AM

[size=3]Thank you so much!!

I could understand them partly.

I try to study from this forum to remove my delutions and afflictions from now on.

#4 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:33 AM

Very good Mina, there are many helpful and knowledgeable monks and laypeople ready to assist anyone on this forum.
Robert