Pavenivasena and Pavenisambhandavasena

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

Dear All,

Are these two words, pavenivasena and pavenisamhandavasena, considered to be compound words? If so, what is the correct way to divide them to find the roots in order to look up the meaning?

Sincerely,

Scott.

#2 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(Scott Duncan @ May 16 2006, 07:01 PM) View Post
Dear All,

Are these two words, pavenivasena and pavenisamhandavasena, considered to be compound words? If so, what is the correct way to divide them to find the roots in order to look up the meaning?

Sincerely,

Scott.

Dear Scott,

First question: answer, if they are not in the dictionary, probably they are compound words.
Second question: answer, the correct way to divide them is to start from the left and see what is in the dictionary:

pavenii (f) = tradition; succession; lineage; breed; a braid of hair.

once one cuts off this much, look up the rest:

sambandha (you have misspelled it in your post, I think this is how it should be) = binding together; connection.

vasa (m) = control; influence; authority.

I'm not sure about the vasa part, but I gather it all means something like dwelling as a sexually active couple (only because in Thai, paveni can mean sexual intercourse).

Maybe you could tell us where you found this odd compound... I can find it in a couple of places, but it seems somewhat obscure.

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#3 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE(Yuttadhammo @ May 16 2006, 09:19 AM) View Post

Maybe you could tell us where you found this odd compound... I can find it in a couple of places, but it seems somewhat obscure.

Dear Venerable Yuttadhammo,

Thanks. For the compound see post #7 in the Impermanence thread. I was finding the same definitions you were and couldn't see how it was the same compound. Maybe I did spell it wrong. I got something wrong anyway.

Sincerely,

Scott.

#4 Abhidhammika

Abhidhammika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Scott Duncan @ May 16 2006, 12:01 PM) View Post

Dear All,

Sincerely,

Scott.

Dear Scott, Venerable Yutthadhammo and all

How are you?

I have already provided the correct spellings and the source of those phrases in answering Scott's questions in the Impermanence thread. Please find them there.

To be able to look up the separate words in those compounds, correct spellings are needed.

paveșisambandhavasena

Please note that paveni is the wrong spelling.

paveși

sambhandha

vasa

-ena

To see the correct Pali fonts and spellings, you may need to download VriRomanPali CN font and install it in Windows/font folder. Please see the thread on this font test.

The compound has three nouns and one grammartical term '-ena', which indicates the instrumental case.

When the noun 'vasa' is suffixed with 'ena', we get 'vasena'.

Vasena is a very common part of Pali compounds. When a Pali compound is attached with 'vasena', it usually means 'by means of', or 'through' whatever meaning the compound has.

Thus, paveșisambandhavasena can be translated as 'by means of serial linking' or 'through serial linking'.

With regards,

Suan

#5 Guest_Scott Duncan_*

Guest_Scott Duncan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

My apollogies for poor speling.

Scott.