Abhidhammika's Content

There have been 12 items by Abhidhammika (Search limited from 15-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#434 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 14 June 2006 - 02:05 PM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

QUOTE(RobertK @ Jun 13 2006, 10:53 PM) View Post

HI Again Suan
Can you see what am I doing wrong when I paste this except?
Robert
[font=VriRomanPali CN] samaya½ bhagav± antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti mahat± bhikkhusaªghena saddhi½ pañca
mattehi bhikkhusatehi. Suppiyopi kho paribb±jako antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti saddhi½ antev±sin± brahmadattena
m±ºavena. Tatra suda½ suppiyo paribb±jako anekapariy±yena buddhassa avaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa avaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa avaººa½ bh±sati; suppi
yassa pana paribb±jakassa antev±s² brahmadatto m±ºavo anekapariy±yena buddhassa vaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa vaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa vaººa½ bh±sati.
Itiha te ubho ±cariyantev±s² aññamaññassa ujuvipaccan²kav±d± bhagavanta½ piµµhito piµµhito anubandh± ‚01 honti bhikkhusaªghañca.
2. Atha kho bhagav± ambala [/font=VriRomanPali CN]

Dear Robert, Mike and all

How are you?

Robert, what you did wrong was [/font=VriRomanPali CN] at the end of the Pali passage quote.

The correct ending is simply /font in the [ ].

Please try it that way, and you will see the correct fonts in the passage.

--

Mike, the font for my IE browser is set to VriRomanPali CN all the time so that I can read the correct fonts from pasted Pali passages from CSCD 3.

I am sick and tired of changing maths symbols to aa, .t, .n and the like. :-)

Ivision Power Board used by this forum, and an early version of it used by Systems Theravada on the bodhiology website now allow us to display correct Pali fonts by just copy-and-paste from CSCD 3 and www.tipitaka.org, making life much easier when we quote Pali passages.

With regards,

Suan

#417 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 13 June 2006 - 03:15 PM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

QUOTE(RobertK @ Jun 13 2006, 08:02 AM) View Post

Dear Suan
As you guessed I used a Japanese language computer for that copy and paste.
I just installed the new cscd3 (kindly sent to me by venerable Yuttadhammo) on my English windows computer and I can now read all your pastes correctly with all accent marks in explorer .

Does anyone know how to copy and paste from the cscd >? I can't find an edit button....
Robert

Dear Robert and all

How are you?

To copy from CSCD 3, first highlight the Pali passage you want to copy, then press Contrl + C on your keyboard to copy it, and then finally press Contrl + V to paste on the open page of your Office Word or other compatible word processor. There you have it!

With regards,

Suan

#376 Long Live Noble Atheism

Posted by Abhidhammika on 05 June 2006 - 02:42 PM in Theravada Topics

Dear Dhamma friends

How are you?

The following is my recent post to DSG.

Dear Daniel, Howard W, Herman H, Scott Duncan, Dan D and all

How are you?

Daniel wrote:

"If I think A, but another person who is smarter than me thinks B, isn't it actually smarter of me not to think A but to think B, since I will rely on a person who is smarter than me?

Is there a fault in this reasoning? It seems that there is, but where??"

Yes, Daniel. There actually is a fault in your reasoning. Not just it seems that there is - as you thought.

The place in which your fault lies is your preoccupation or obsession with wanting and needing to be or appear smart or smarter. Put it another way, your competitive mindset is where you go wrong.

By the way, if you want to cure yourself of the theist disease (belief in a creator), drink regularly the Buddha's teachings on the Four Noble Truths as taught in Dhammacakkapavattana Suttam, and Dependent Origination (Pa.ticcasammuppaada) as taught in Mahanidaana Suttam and other related Suttams, and, of course, practice mindfulness meditation as taught in Mahasatipa.t.thaana Suttam and other related Suttams.

In addition, if you are able to find more time and energy, study Abhidhamma Pi.taka that will surely kill off your belief in a creator because Abhidhamma explicitly demolishes the concepts of a person (puggala), of a being (satta), of self (atta) and of a soul (jiiva).

Once you appreciate the Buddha's teachings on personlessness, beinglessness, selflessness, and soulessness, you will become a Noble Atheist destined for final liberation (nibbaana), the Goal Of Every Genuine Full Buddhist such as followers of Noble Theravada. By the way, Mahayanists cannot be regarded as genuine full Buddhists as they plan to be reborn forever in the Existential Loop (Samsaara) in their misguided ambition of wanting to become saviors and in their wrong belief in the existence of beings to save!

Belief in a creator and / or not being a genuine full Buddhist are the result of being misguided and not understanding properly Dependent Originnation and the Four Noble Truths.

Long Live Noble Atheism that is liberating!

With kind regards,

Suan Lu Zaw

www.bodhiology.org

( Daniel <daniell@...> wrote:

Hey All,

Perhaps I will rephrase my question.

If I think A, but another person who is smarter than me thinks B, isn't it
actually smarter of me not to think A but to think B, since I will rely on a
person who is smarter than me?

Is there a fault in this reasoning? It seems that there is, but where??

( One could say that smart people say different things. But if that is the only
reason, it imlies that if the smart people would say only one thing, the
reasoning above would be correct ?)

Thank you,

sorry for the silly question, Daniel

#334 Ghatikaara Suttam

Posted by Abhidhammika on 01 June 2006 - 01:45 PM in Vipassana

Dear Robert K, Scott D, Mike N, Christine F, Nina and all

How are you?

I notice Brahamali's article regarding Jhaana controversy on Samatha forum. The problem with those who insist on samatha jhaanas as prerequisite for vipassanaa seems to be their failure to understand the reason behind the practice of samatha to the level of jhaana attainment.

I am saying the above as one who would indulge in proper samatha practice in pursuit of jhaana accomplishment in the first available opportunity that is not possible in my current western lifestyle for the time being. To persue Samatha Jhaana in a western society like Australia, you either need to be rich enough to overcome any concerns related to livelihood or be brave enough to be able to survive as an outcast, perhaps living in the desert far away from western civilization. As I am neither of both, realistic samatha practice proper is out of my reach as things stand now.

The most sensible approach an average person can take in a western society is, fortunately, also the most important practice of the Buddha's teachings, which is vipassanaa practice.

Vipassanaa practice as taught in Satipa.t.thaana Suttam by the Buddha does not require us to attain samatha jhaanas whose main goals are superhuman powers in terms of Iddhis, which are worldly and dependent on conditions.

In support of vipassanaa's capability to ensure attainment of awakening for nibbana, the Buddha taught us Gha.tikaara Suttam in Majjhimapannaasa, in Majjhimanikaaya.

In Gha.tikaara Suttam, the Buddha listed Gha.tikaara's attributes in Section 288 that are all to do with noble faith, noble behaviors, noble understanding and noble awakening as a non-returner. As the Buddha dedicated one whole middle-length Suttam to Gha.tikaara the Pot-maker, he could have listed any samatha jhaana among Gha.tikaara's attributes if he had them. But, as none of the samatha jhaanas were mentioned as Gha.tikaara's attainments by the Buddha, we can know for sure that this noble pot-maker did not have any samatha jhaanas.

Here is the Pali pasage from Section 288, Gha.tikaara Suttam, Majjhimapannaasa, Majjhimanikaaya.

“‘Atthi, mah±r±ja, vega¼iªga½ n±ma g±manigamo. Tattha ghaµik±ro n±ma kumbhak±ro; so me upaµµh±ko aggupaµµh±ko. Tuyha½ kho pana, mah±r±ja, na me kassapo bhagav± araha½ samm±sambuddho adhiv±seti b±r±ºasiya½ vass±v±santi attheva ‚01 aññathatta½, atthi domanassa½. Tayida½ ghaµik±rassa kumbhak±rassa ‚02 natthi ca na ca bhavissati. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro buddha½ saraºa½ gato, dhamma½ saraºa½ gato, saªgha½ saraºa½ gato. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro p±º±tip±t± paµivirato, adinn±d±n± paµivirato, k±mesumicch±c±r± paµivirato, mus±v±d± paµivirato, sur±merayamajjapam±daµµh±n± paµivirato. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro buddhe aveccappas±dena samann±gato, dhamme aveccappas±dena samann±gato, saªghe aveccappas±dena samann±gato, ariyakantehi s²lehi samann±gato. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro dukkhe nikkaªkho, dukkhasamudaye nikkaªkho, dukkhanirodhe nikkaªkho, dukkhanirodhag±miniy± paµipad±ya nikkaªkho. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro ekabhattiko brahmac±r² s²lav± kaly±ºadhammo. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro nikkhittamaºisuvaººo apetaj±tar³parajato. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro pannamusalo na sahatth± pathavi½ khaºati ‚03. Ya½ hoti k³lapalugga½ v± m³sikukkaro ‚04 v± ta½ k±jena ±haritv± bh±jana½ karitv± evam±ha– “ettha yo icchati taº¹ulapaµibhast±ni ‚05 v± muggapaµibhast±ni v± ka¼±yapaµibhast±ni v± nikkhipitv± ya½ icchati ta½ harat³”ti. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro andhe jiººe m±t±pitaro poseti. Ghaµik±ro kho, mah±r±ja, kumbhak±ro pañcanna½ orambh±giy±na½ sa½yojan±na½ parikkhay± opap±tiko tattha parinibb±y² an±vatti-dhammo tasm± lok±.

With regards,

Suan

www.bodhiology.org

#277 Operations Of The Mind Being More Than One

Posted by Abhidhammika on 26 May 2006 - 08:00 AM in Pali studies

Dear Dhamma friends

The following is my recent post to DSG regarding the operations of the mind being more than one.

________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Howard, Herman, Tep, Dan, Nina, Mike N, Sarah and all

How are you?

Howard wrote:

"Citta, or as I prefer it, viññ±ºa½, is the operation of merely being aware of content."

If you mean an object (±rammaºa½) of the mind by the term 'content', we could re-write your above statement as "One of the operations of viññ±ºa½ is merely being aware of content."

In the first verse of Dhammapada, the Buddha teaches us that the mind is the forerunner (leader/originator) of the mental phenomena (Manopubbaªgam± dhamm± where dhammaa refers to cetasikas).

Dhammapada commentary explains the meaning of dhamma in that verse as follows.

So atthato tayo ar³pino khandh± vedan±kkhandho saññ±kkhandho saªkh±rakkhandhoti.

"That term 'dhammo', as its meaning here, refers to the three mental aggregates: feeling aggregate, memory aggregate, and the aggregate of the remaining mental associates."

Thus, we now know that another important operation of the mind is to lead and originate the three mental aggregates, namely, cetasikas.

Hope I didn't disappoint you, Howard. :-)

With regards,

Suan

www.bodhiology.org

#229 Pavenivasena and Pavenisambhandavasena

Posted by Abhidhammika on 17 May 2006 - 01:53 PM in Pali studies

QUOTE(Scott Duncan @ May 16 2006, 12:01 PM) View Post

Dear All,

Are these two words, pavenivasena and pavenisamhandavasena, considered to be compound words? If so, what is the correct way to divide them to find the roots in order to look up the meaning?

Sincerely,

Scott.

Dear Scott, Venerable Yutthadhammo and all

How are you?

I have already provided the correct spellings and the source of those phrases in answering Scott's questions in the Impermanence thread. Please find them there.

To be able to look up the separate words in those compounds, correct spellings are needed.

paveºisambandhavasena

Please note that paveni is the wrong spelling.

paveºi

sambhandha

vasa

-ena

To see the correct Pali fonts and spellings, you may need to download VriRomanPali CN font and install it in Windows/font folder. Please see the thread on this font test.

The compound has three nouns and one grammartical term '-ena', which indicates the instrumental case.

When the noun 'vasa' is suffixed with 'ena', we get 'vasena'.

Vasena is a very common part of Pali compounds. When a Pali compound is attached with 'vasena', it usually means 'by means of', or 'through' whatever meaning the compound has.

Thus, paveºisambandhavasena can be translated as 'by means of serial linking' or 'through serial linking'.

With regards,

Suan

#217 Impermanence

Posted by Abhidhammika on 15 May 2006 - 03:50 PM in Study of Texts

QUOTE(Scott Duncan @ May 13 2006, 03:49 AM) View Post

Dear Robert, Phil, All,

Regarding the terms "pavenivasana" and "pavenisambandhavasena:"

These are rendered "continuous sequence" and "connected continuity." Can you please compare and contrast these phrases? They seem synonymous at first glance but then, if I think about it (too much likely) they seem different. Before I get too far, may I hear a little more please?

Sincerely,

Scott.

Dear Scott, Phil, Robert K, Mike N, Nina and all

How are you?

When we look at the two phrases paveºisambandhavasena and paveºivasena in their commentary paragraph, they convey the same sense. This is confirmed by the subcommentary's interpretation.

Yath± pana pad²passa jalato j±t± ta½ ta½ vaµµippadesa½ anatikkamitv± tattha tattheva bhijjati, atha ca pana paveºisambandhavasena sabbaratti½ jalito pad²poti vuccati, evamidh±pi paveºivasena ayampi k±yo eva½ ciraµµhitiko viya katv± dassito. Section 61, Assutav±suttavaººan±, Nid±nasa½yutta½

In the flame simile, through serial linking, the flame appears to us as the same burning flame. As the flame burns, so is this body also shown to appear as if existing for a long time through serial arisings. Here we notice that the serial linking responsible for the events of the flame matches with the serial arisings responsible for the events of the body. Thus, we can equate the serial linking with the serial arisings. This is exactly what the subcommentary on this suttam does.

Paveºisambandhavasen±ti santativasena. Section 61, Assutav±suttavaººan±, Nid±navaggaµ²k±

The expression 'through serial linking' refers to 'through serial arisings'.

I hope that the above solves Scott's puzzle.

Sayadaws Ashin Pandita, Dhammanando, Pesala, and Yutthadhammo could add their suggestions as well.

With regards,

Suan Lu Zaw

#183 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 10 May 2006 - 02:04 PM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 10 2006, 09:21 AM) View Post

Dear Suan

I can read your post correctly, but the cut and paste I did below from Tipitaka.org didnt work..

Dear Robert

How are you? I copied the following Pali passage from Section 1, Brahmaj±lasutta½ from www.tipitaka.org.

Please let me know if you see the Pali fonts correctly. I saw them correctly from my IE6 browser.

When I tried to test your copied passage, it didn't work either. In places where Pali fonts should appear, I saw Chinese characters.

It is odd! Odd because I saw maths symbols when I copy and paste Pali passages (in raw form ) from both CSCD version 3 and www.tipitaka.org.

I wonder if you are using Chinese or Japanese version of Windows or IE6. My versions of Windows and IE6 are, of course, the usual US English.

With regards,

Suan

1. Brahmaj±lasutta½

Paribb±jakakath±

1. Eva½ me suta½– eka½ samaya½ bhagav± antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti mahat± bhikkhusaªghena saddhi½ pañcamattehi bhikkhusatehi. Suppiyopi kho paribb±jako antar± ca r±jagaha½ antar± ca n±¼anda½ addh±namaggappaµipanno hoti saddhi½ antev±sin± brahmadattena m±ºavena. Tatra suda½ suppiyo paribb±jako anekapariy±yena buddhassa avaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa avaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa avaººa½ bh±sati; suppiyassa pana paribb±jakassa antev±s² brahmadatto m±ºavo anekapariy±yena buddhassa vaººa½ bh±sati, dhammassa vaººa½ bh±sati, saªghassa vaººa½ bh±sati. Itiha te ubho ±cariyantev±s² aññamaññassa ujuvipaccan²kav±d± bhagavanta½ piµµhito piµµhito anubandh± [anubaddh± (ka. s². p².)] honti bhikkhusaªghañca.

#178 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 10 May 2006 - 07:00 AM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 10 2006, 06:38 AM) View Post

Dear Suan,
Success! I got it to work on the computer in my office, now I just have to get it working on my home computers (where I do most of my work).
Robert

Dear Robert

Glad to hear the good news! Now please copy a Pali pasage from www.tipitaka.org and paste here for all to see.

Thanking you in advance.

Suan

#177 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 10 May 2006 - 06:55 AM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 9 2006, 02:28 PM) View Post

Dear Suan,
I have tried this but my computer switches it back when I load the board. I will try another computer. It is very kind of you to help.

I have been trying to get a copy of the cscd 3 (I have the old version). But they are not replying to me in Japan. If anyone can get hold of a copy I can reimburse postage from anywhere in the world by paypal.

robert

Dear Robert

Thank you for explaining the situation. How about setting the font to VriRoman Pali CN while you are already on the pages of the board? That is, select VriRomanPali CN font after having loaded the board.

After that, you could copy a Pali passage from www.tipitaka.org and paste here in this thread. See what happens.

CSCD 3 may be out of stock at the branch you contacted. How about contacting the branch in Rangoon, in Myanmar. They might have copies.

With regards,

Suan

#168 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 09 May 2006 - 01:01 PM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 8 2006, 10:29 AM) View Post

Thank you! I installed the fonts and can read the Tipitaka online correctly at the http://www.tipitaka.org but not on this site. The webpage seems to be changing it back to another font.. I will keep trying.

Dear Robert and other interested users of CSCD fonts,

I can see the correct Pali fonts of CSCD version 3 on this forum on your web site, of course from my IE6 browser. To see those VriRomanPali CN fonts, you need to change the font display of your IE6 browser to VriRomanPali CN from among the list of fonts avialable on your system via Internet Options. After selecting this font, click Ok on the font menu, then click Ok on the Internet Options menu as well.

I believe you have CSCD version 3. I would like to double-check this font test. Could you copy and paste a Pali passage from the CSCD CD-ROM, post here on this thread.

Please do the following:

Before the Pali line starts, please write the code font=VriRomanPali CN. The code should be inside [ ].
Then, paste the copied Pali passage.
And then, right at the end of the pasted Pali passage, write the code /font. This code should also be inside [ ].

If your Widows system has this font, you will correctly see the passage with the right fonts. You can also preview your post before you finally send it. See what happens.

Good luck!

And, thanking you in adavnce

Suan

#157 Pali Font Test

Posted by Abhidhammika on 08 May 2006 - 06:59 AM in Feedback, help with forum etc.

Dear Robert K and all

How are you? I sent this post to test VriRomanPali CN font from CSCD version 3. It works with IE6 without needing other Internet Browsers. All you need is download this Pali font from Vipassana Research Institute web site and install it in your Windows system folder. Here are their links:
http://www.tipitaka.org
http://www.vri.dhamma.org

After installing VriRomanPali CN font in your windows system folder, click Tools menu on your IE6 browser, then click Internet Options, and then click font menu and select VriRomanPali font for your browser. Then, click Ok button.

That is all you need do to see the correct Pali fonts.

Please check the following Section from S±maññaphalasutta½.

c³¼as²la½

194. “Kathañca, mah±r±ja, bhikkhu s²lasampanno hoti? idha, mah±r±ja, bhikkhu p±º±tip±ta½ pah±ya p±º±tip±t± paµivirato hoti. nihitadaº¹o nihitasattho lajj² day±panno sabbap±ºabh³tahit±nukamp² viharati. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Adinn±d±na½ pah±ya adinn±d±n± paµivirato hoti dinn±d±y² dinnap±µikaªkh², athenena suci
bh³tena attan± viharati. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Abrahmacariya½ pah±ya brahmac±r² hoti ±r±c±r² virato methun± g±madhamm±. idampissa
hoti s²lasmi½.
“Mus±v±da½ pah±ya mus±v±d± paµivirato hoti saccav±d² saccasandho theto paccayiko avisa½
v±dako lokassa. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Pisuºa½ v±ca½ pah±ya pisuº±ya v±c±ya paµivirato hoti; ito sutv± na amutra akkh±t± imesa½
bhed±ya; amutra v± sutv± na imesa½ akkh±t±, am³sa½ bhed±ya. iti bhinn±na½ v± sandh±t±,
sahit±na½ v± anuppad±t±, samagg±r±mo samaggarato samagganand² samaggakaraºi½ v±ca½
bh±sit± hoti. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Pharusa½ v±ca½ pah±ya pharus±ya v±c±ya paµivirato hoti; y± s± v±c± nel± kaººasukh±
peman²y± hadayaªgam± por² bahujanakant± bahujanaman±p± tath±r³pi½ v±ca½ bh±sit± hoti.
idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“Samphappal±pa½ pah±ya samphappal±p± paµivirato hoti k±lav±d² bh³tav±d² atthav±d²
dhammav±d² vinayav±d², nidh±navati½ v±ca½ bh±sit± hoti k±lena s±padesa½ pariyantavati½
atthasa½hita½. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.
“B²jag±mabh³tag±masam±rambh± paµivirato hoti …pe… ekabhattiko hoti ratt³parato virato
vik±labhojan±. naccag²tav±ditavis³kadassan± paµivirato hoti. m±l±gandhavilepanadh±raºama
º¹anavibh³sanaµµh±n± paµivirato hoti. ucc±sayanamah±sayan± paµivirato hoti. j±tar³parajatapaµi
ggahaº± paµivirato hoti. ±makadhaññapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. ±makama½sapaµiggahaº±
paµivirato hoti. itthikum±rikapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. d±sid±sapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. aje¼a
kapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. kukkuµas³karapaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. hatthigavassava¼avapa
µiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. khettavatthupaµiggahaº± paµivirato hoti. d³teyyapahiºagaman±nuyog±
paµivirato hoti. kayavikkay± paµivirato hoti. tul±k³µaka½sak³µam±nak³µ± paµivirato hoti. ukkoµana-
vañcananikatis±ciyog± paµivirato hoti. chedanavadhabandhanavipar±mosa-±lopasahas±k±r±paµivirato hoti. idampissa hoti s²lasmi½.