#1 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, Meditation, DTP, Font Editing, Web Publishing

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

If you like to have this on a portable PC or USB drive, you can download the bulk download directly from my webiste. I update my self-extracting archive at least once a month, and usually whenever John Bullit updates Atibulk.zip

Atibulk.zip (13.5 Mbytes) can be downloaded directly from this Access to Insight webpage.

My self-extracting archive (5.95 Mbytes) Direct Download.

Last updated on 2nd May 2006.

All Downloads available from my webspace listed by date.

#2 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

Thank you Venerable Pesala and welcome to this new forum!

If anyone else has any websites, tools, pali dictionaries etc please post in this forum
thanks
Robert

#3 Yuttadhammo

Yuttadhammo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(RobertK @ May 3 2006, 07:46 PM) View Post
Thank you Venerable Pesala and welcome to this new forum!

If anyone else has any websites, tools, pali dictionaries etc please post in this forum
thanks
Robert

Dear Bhante, Robert,

As you can see, I have not pinned this topic, not because I don't appreciate Bhante Pesala's good work, but because this link doesn't directly have to do with the Pali language. Maybe a new forum called "Theravada Buddhist Web Resources" or some such thing would be a good idea?

Best wishes,

Yuttadhammo

#4 RobertK

RobertK

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:35 AM

I made a subforum in the General forum section that should fit the bill.

#5 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:57 AM

Updated the Access to Insight archive on 18/6/2006 and updated my Opera Tips for Opera 9.

Here you can find a modified search.ini file for Opera to add a search of the Access to Insight website. Type "i Searchterm" in the Opera address bar to find any documents containing "Searchterm" on the ATI website. You can also use the search from Opera's hot-click menu.
  • Double-click a word to select it
  • Right-click to show the hotclick menu
  • Select, "Search Access to Insight" from the menu
IPB Image

The search will only work with words not containing Pali diacritics. To find Pali words, use the address bar search with their Anglicized spelling, e.g. "i Rajagaha" rather than "i Rājagaha."
Searching for Pali words.
Searching for Pali words can be tricky because of the diacritical marks that are used in the phonetic representation of Pali in our roman alphabet. On this website most (but not all) Pali words are represented without diacritics: nibbana, ditthi, etc. The palatal nasal is usually represented here as ˝, hence ˝ana, vi˝˝ana, etc., although this search engine regards n and ˝ as equivalent. In some texts, diacritics are represented using the Velthuis convention now widely used on the Internet: double the vowels, and precede the affected consonants with punctuation symbolic of the diacritic (see "Diacritical Marks" in "A Guide to Learning the Pali Language" for details). You'll have to be a bit resourceful in your search. If you can't find the word you're looking for, try a different spelling.

Example: When looking up the Pali word for mental absorption, try these alternate spellings: jhana or jhaana; for insight knowledge, try ˝ana, nana, naan.a, or ˝aan.a; for consciousness, try vi˝˝ana, vinnana, vinnaa.na, or vi˝˝aa.na; etc.

Keep in mind that long Pali words are sometimes hyphenated to make them more readable in English.

Example: The famous Mahasatipatthana sutta is sometimes written as Maha-satipatthana sutta. To find the sutta, try looking up "maha-satipatthana" or simply "satipatthana."

Search in Pali, not Sanskrit. Although a few common Buddhist terms sometimes appear on this website in their Sanskrit equivalents (dharma, karma, nirvana, etc.), the great majority of terms are in Pali (dhamma, kamma, nibbana, etc.). Searches for Sanskrit words like dhyana (Pali: jhana), smrti (sati), or sutra (sutta) will yield little fruit.

#6 Bhikkhu Pesala

Bhikkhu Pesala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Download the website as a self-extracting archive Current version: 20th September 2011 (19.1 Mb) The ZIP version of the same archive available from the ATI web site is 31.3 Mb.

#7 Johann (Hanzze)

Johann (Hanzze)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

Some month ago I have started to make a bilingual mirror page of ATI, its based on a German "Eco" server (given within a offering meant for the noble Sangha), so in the case you don't like to use to much third part resources, you are more that welcome to use it.
Also in regard of the search queries, which actually not only cost a lot of money for John Bullitt but which are actually big energy eater, it might be an alternative.
Of course the search engine is not match to google, but it helps to develop some creativity rather to fall more and more in just "want" and its nearly not involved in worldly businesses at all and given for its purpose.

Since my knowledge in all technical internet stuff was 0 some month ago, the page does not have much special feathers. In the case you like to get involved and help to develop the content, both, English and German further, please feel welcome and invited. Its somehow a devotion and way to give a little back like all this people who made accesstoinsight possible did and that this tradition of generosity may continue.

I have handed over the editing to Moritz a very devoted and humble young men for northern Germany and I am sure he would be more than happy to have support of you "netheads" and elders.

You are invited and welcome in what ever way you like: Heartily welcome on "Zugang zur Einsicht"

Maybe just make use of this present:

Random Sutta
Random Article
Random Jataka

Zufälliges Sutta
Zufälliger Artikel
Zufälliges Jataka

Some new article in English:

Venerable Ācariya Mun Bhuridatta Thera: A Spiritual Biography, by Venerable Ācariya Maha Boowa Ñanasampanno

by Bhikkhu Dick Silaratano [] (2005; 212 p./1.2MB) pdf_24x18.gif

The biography of Ven. Ācariya Mun Bhuridatta composed by his disciple and fellow Ven. Ācariya Maha Boowa Ñanasampanno. Next to countless anecdotes one may find a great reflection of a live of a true Buddhist forest monk.

How to meditate: A Beginner's Guide To Peace

by Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu [Moritz Raguschat] (2013; 19 p./28KB) pdf_24x18.gif

In this small booklet the author gives, in a very concise and succinct manner, an introduction to Vipassana meditation, as taught by Mahasi Sayadaw. The beginner is introduced into the method in a very instructive and detailled manner, so that he, if he follows it attentively step by step, keeps no doubt as to what is to do. Explained are sitting meditation, walking meditation and mindful prostration, which are detailled one after the other as building blocks for structuring the practice, complete with instructions on how to best integrate them. Each of these chapters concludes with a friendly challenge to take a moment and try the practice out for oneself before reading further. In this way one receives a swift and pragmatic introduction. At the end of the book follow, after a retrospective discussion of the theoretical background for deepening one's understanding, some practical possibilities on how to continue the meditation practice into one's normal everyday life, as well as advice regarding conduct of life which is helpful for the continuance of the meditation practice and the development of its full potential.

Cutting New Paths in the Mind

by Thanissaro Bhikkhu [Laien für ZzE] (2013; 3 p./6KB) pdf_24x18.gif audio.gif

Here the author explains that we mostly think in rut ways and the only protection so that we do not endanger ourselves constantly and finally stab ourselves in our ways is to take on new habits of thinking. One means to counteract is Right Effort and this would help us to walk aside of our usual tendencies in objectification.

Index Jataka Stories: no. 001 - 050

translated by Robert Chalmers [] (2013; 5 p./12KB) [This section is still under construction, the German version is nearly finished]

Seeds of Becoming

by Thanissaro Bhikkhu [Laien für ZzE] (2002; 3 p./7KB) pdf_24x18.gif audio.gif

The author points out the place where we are able to lean to understand all issues which are moving this world. A Dhammatalk on Bhava (Becoming) and how we are able to transcendent birth, aging, sickness and death, exactly here and now.

There a many, many things in progress and it you wish to participate or leave a gift of Dhamma to be shared behind, please feel welcome to visit the Work Forum ZzE (Note: Its not meant as add, but as a gift of possibility)

#8 Johann (Hanzze)

Johann (Hanzze)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

zugangzureinsicht.org has now a new important Author in its list, John Bullitt.

Bullitt, John T. (?-?)
John Bullitt, the builder of AccessToInsight, apart from the collection, careful design, cross-referencing and preparation of an abundant wealth of teaching material and information about Buddhism and meditation from a vast variety of sources, has also written a number of very instructive, informative and helpful articles himself: Apart from the numerous texts of introduction, commentary and cross-referencing which are found on many pages and keep the whole structure of AccessToInsight neatly together in one cohesive and conveniently explorable whole piece, with the "Path to Freedom" one finds didactically well prepared introduction into the teaching and tradition, including understandable explanations of many of the most important terms and concepts, a historical outline of the Buddha's life, and at its core a systematic and deep exploration of the Noble Eightfold Path, providing reliable guidance and inviting to and arousing interest in further investigation by oneself on many levels. [Source: own exposure to and occupation with John Bullitt's works]

If anybody know some biographical details and is inspired to share them, it would be great. Not to speak about a picture.

#9 Johann (Hanzze)

Johann (Hanzze)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Request to Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi,

Quote from: via contact from bodhimonastery.org arrow.gif

Dear Ven. Bante Bodhi,

some month ago I have started to develop a bilingual "mirror" (German and English) of the generous gift of John Bullitts and many many voluntaries work accesstoinsight.org and this website is based on the domain zugangzureinsicht.org on a German eco-server given and developed as a Sanghika Dana to be.

The whole work is a 100% dana work and managed by lay people, not in connection with any NGO or monastery or what ever worldly institution and without any fundraising or use of money. I my self "being" a "Samana" (no official Nissaya, not official ordained) live currently in Cambodia and will have some weeks more to be able to contribute my work in development and support of this Dana learning and right view developing undertaking.

Back to my request: I would like to request the publishing of your translations, what ever you like to share within the scope of zugangzureinsicht.org's "Scope of the Dana-Gift" (which has no limits in Anumodana possibilities but does not advocate and share the possibility of selling or reward of any kind).

Further more, having already done a lot of translations into German, also of the preexisting publications received from ATI, I would like to request to remove the limitations to 50 copies which are on most BPS publications.

Independent of this request (please don't feel pressured or stressed with it, everything will be excepted), I would like to share - or better said - give the already existing translations into German within ZzE to you and at the same time (but independent of it) I would like to request their further publishing as they are with your blessing (that does not mean that the responsibility of our work will be transferred, we are aware of it and stay at it without disclaimer of any kind).

Venerable Bante, it would be good if you except our gift, and it is independent of our request.

Please let me know your response, approve or disprove.

(For the case that I am not reachable, I like to request to send a copy to uebersetzungen [ at ] sangham.net which will reach the current admin of the page)

metta & mudita
Johann Brucker
sangham.net

Quote from: Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi via email

Am 2013-11-27 16:01, schrieb Bhikkhu Bodhi:

Dear Johann,

I don't quite understand what you would like to do. Could you please state it again more simply? Also, I am not presently involved with the Buddhist Publication Society and so any changes in their policy that you wish for you would have to obtain directly from them. I have been out of Sri Lanka for the past 12 years.

Sincerely,
    Bhikkhu Bodhi

Sent from my iPad

Quote from: Johann via email

Betreff:   Re: your request
Datum:   2013-11-27 17:14
Absender:   Johann Brucker <johann...
Empfänger:   Bhikkhu Bodhi <v...

Dear venerable Bhante Bodhi,

thank you very much for sharing your precious time and generosity to replay and give the possibility to rephrase our offer and request. I will try to separate it as good as possible so that it does not get mixed and could be maybe even answered with approve of reject. I will also minimize formalism by doing so, but please be sure that it is done with open heart and with two handy either. Please see all points also independent form each other and no need to make one dependent for the other.

Given the gift of accesstoinsights shared possibility, many translations of your generous teachings are translated into German and shared via the from general independent bilingual "mirror" based on John Bullitts gift zugangzureinsicht.org (a pure punna, without money involvement layman undertaking of generosity).

1. I would like to offer you this translations to use them and make them shareable how ever you like. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would accept this gift.

2. We would like to request a blessing, or an aprove, that this works, the translations (done by the given possibility) are shared within the frame of zugangzureinsicht.org. Not at all to get ride of our responsibility, but to have a sign and a appropriation recognized as by a thought: "the Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi approves our intentions, he approves the deed of Anumudana, he approves that we try to share his gift with and merits within our possibilities", and to increase faith and confidence in generosity and gratitude. It would be good, if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would approve our work so that we may all good reason to continue this deeds of sharing merits.

3. Venerable Bhante Bodhi had translated a lot of Suttas and Essays, which found their way over BPS on ATI and so arrived by us. As we don't like to limit the possibility of sharing merits, we would take every possibility by heart to lighten limitations. So if Venerable Bhante is still in possession, has the possibility to share one or the other Sutta or Essay personally, we could remove the limitation of the gift from BPS, which would make it possible that you translations (merits) could, be shared more easily, if somebody is inspired to do so, without dependency on marked or other third persons taking a material share. It would be good, if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would share this possibility if he is able to share it, to increase a strong sign that "economy" on gifts, generosity and gratitude are actually possible. If such is possible for one certain Sutta or Essay, it is already great. If possible for two, three... no need to describe the value. What ever Bhante is possible and willing to give would be taken be heart and spread.

4. Venerable Bhante Bodhi does many translations we do not share for now, but would be more that more then honored, if we are given of this or another of those translations. What ever we would receive, we would put it into a proper frame to share as a Dhamma Gift. We even don't like to request here specific translations, but would take any gift you may offer to be able to share as merits could be shared. It would be good, if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would share his translations and teachings, what ever Venerable Bhante feels inspired to give. May it be from the past, may it be now and new or may it be for future Dhamma you may translate or teach.

Venerable Bhante, I would like to thanks for your time and sympathy and trust that you will understand the reasons and intentions of the gifts and requests and I look forward to receive you answer to it.

Please don't hesitate to ask further and in detail if anything needs to be clarified, so that no doubt would disturb an releasing ending of this act of gratitude and generosity.

Yours in resepect

metta & mudita

Johann

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Johann Brucker <johann... wrote:

Dear venerable Bhante Bodhi,

as it sometimes happen, that a message is not delivered form here in Cambodia, I just like to get sure that there is no reason for doubt out of such a situation and so I repeat my message to you.

I trust that you will be able to receive it and able to replay.

Yours in respect

metta & mudita
    Johann

Datum:   2013-12-13 23:32
Absender:   Bhikkhu Bodhi ....
Empfänger:   Johann Brucker ....

Dear Joann,
I'm sorry that I did not reply, but the requests are still not very clear to me. Could you perhaps convey your ideas to somebody who is more fluent in English who could then send them to me? Please keep them clear and concise.
Also, it seems you want to translate my English translations from Pali into English. But translations of the Nikayas are already available in German, translated directly from Pali, so why translate from English into German?

With metta,
Bhikkhu Bodhi

Quote from: Johann via email
Betreff:
Re: your request
Datum:
2013-12-14 12:31
Absender:
Johann Brucker ...
Empfänger:
Bhikkhu Bodhi ...
Dear Venerable Bhante Bodhi;

I am more that happy that a voluntary act of a certain person could provide a unrequested translation of my words (here ) for our further communication and I trust that my bad lack of skill was the reason for eventually doubts and misunderstandings:

----

Most valued venerable Bhante Bodhi,

I want to thank Bhante that by his asking for clarification he has given the opportunity, not only for me, to clear away doubts, and I am happy that valued Bhante has for this purpose generously stated his concerns and doubts.

Since the matter was concerning several invitations and questions, I will try to formulate them again and add some explanation, so that my line of thought may become clearer. As a general remark I would like to mention that usually I do not speak in common ways and am always trying to use Dhamma language, that is in particular, I do not rely on assumptions on the grounds of common attitudes. Furthermore I would like to remark that I am used to observe ten Silas or more, whereas the "more" has its limits mostly with my asking like here as an example for that.

May valued Bhante forgive if the explanations exceed the level of necessities, and in that case simply regard it as circumspection. I will try to address your questions specifically, taking the specific points into consideration.

No 1. I would like to offer you these translations to use them and make them shareable however you like. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would accept this gift.

With this point we offer you the already completed translations of works which, over ATI, BPS and in the last instance obviously by the valued Bhante, as their author, were given to us. We offer you these translations for your valued use.
This is not only a form of courteous guesture, but it also enables you in the last consequence to really access them, resting on the fact that you were invited and this was given. Therefore, it not only enables you to use the resource righteously, in terms of Vinaya, from ZzE, but of course especially to use the translations which have been made by laypeople for ZzE.

It would be good if valued Bhante would accept this gift.

INDEPENDENT FROM THAT

No 2. We would like to request a blessing, or an approval, that these works, the translations (done by the given possibility), are shared within the frame of zugangzureinsicht.org. Not at all to get rid of our responsibility, but to have a sign of recognized approprieteness, as by the thought: "the Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi approves of our intentions, he approves of the deed of Anumodana, he approves that we try to share his gift with and merits within our possibilities," and to increase faith and confidence in generosity and gratitude. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would approve of our work, so that we may have all good reason to continue these deeds of sharing merits.

This point, this request, is, besides being a gesture of respect, there for clearing away potential doubts, since "paper/writing" is often patient while the author may not be the same. It is a request whether these things which we have received over ATI and BPS, the possibility to share Dhamma-Dana (merits) further, to translate and animate others to explore, examine and study Dhamma, and to share and partake in merits, are in line with your interest and intention. It might after all very well be that along the course this has taken to reach us, at some point, it has not been given, and has erroneously been seen as given, and that you have no delight in, no interest in this, but specific intentions which are different, and by that we would possibly do damage to your undertaking. Even if implicitness and taking rights are highly praised these days, this is indeed strongly the opposite direction than Dhamma, and someone who abstains from taking what is not given would with good reason have doubts and perhaps not receive the gift. Certainly from a purely worldly perspective it would be no problem at all, and would not even require requesting, but from the point of view of righteousness and on a level of right view such a request is unavoidable if it is not clear and doubts exist or might exist for others. Therefore it is primarily an act of obligingness and motivation for further generations in this course of generosity and merits.
Last but not least it has always been tradition to ask a Venerable One for a blessing, for approval of good undertakings. Although I don't esteem this very much in cases like house-construction or a new car, as it is sadly also the case, but for the work in Dhamma it is very well appropriate.

It would be good if the venerable Bhante Bodhi would honour the kind of work with his recognition and approval.
INDEPENDENT FROM THAT

No 3. Venerable Bhante Bodhi has translated a lot Suttas and (written a lot of) Essays which found their way over BPS to ATI and along this route arrived by us. Since we don't like to limit the possibility of sharing merits we would take every possibility to heart to lighten limitations. So if Venerable Bhante is still in possession, or has the possibility to share one or the other Sutta or Essay personally, we could remove the limitation of the gift as according to the terms of BPS, which would make it possible that your translations (merits) could be shared more easily whenever somebody feels inspired to do so, without dependency on market or other third persons taking a material share. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would share this possibility if he is able to share it, to give a strong sign that "economy" of gifts, generosity and gratitude are actually possible. If such is possible for one particular Sutta or Essay, it is already great. If possible for two, three... no need to describe the value. Whatever Bhante is able and willing to give would be taken to heart and spread.

This point takes the circumstance into consideration that among the gifts of Dhamma which we have received with ATI, over BPS and in the last instance by you, there are some which are restricted in possibilities of sharing merits. If for example someone felt inspired today to take a work of yours, to let it be printed in order to give it as a gift to many people, he would be only able to do so in small amounts. Apart from the circumstance that small amounts are expensive and a greater strain for the environment, it invites generosity only in a limited manner and provides reason for doubt in the giver's motivation.
In order to lift this burden for further generations of these merits and possibly correct them, we make this request.
If, however, these works are not in Bhante's possession, he has relinquished them, then this question is of course baseless, although an assistance in this matter, to enable this, if possible, would be helpful.

It would be good if Bhante Bodhi would give us the permission to abolish the amount limitation for sharing of merits or if he would/could provide us for anew alternatives, so that we are able to share this alternatives aside of the limited ones.

INDEPENDENT FROM THAT

No 4. Venerable Bhante Bodhi is doing many translations which we do not share at this moment, but we would be more than honored if we were given one or the other of those translations. Whatever we would receive, we would put it into a proper frame to share as a Dhamma Gift. We even don't mean to request specific translations here, but we would accept any gift you may offer to share them as merits could be shared. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would share his translations and teachings, whatever Bhante Bodhi feels inspired to give. May it be from the past, may it be now and new, or may it be for future Dhamma you may translate or teach.

This, valued Bhante Bodhi is a concrete request, asking directly from you, the author, for Dhamma translations which are not yet provided on ZzE, in order to share these merits further.

Although one might take something here and there, but this we do not regard as given at the moment, and though it may seem possible within the frame of Fair Use, such is even on a worldly level not lawful in this country. And for the rest there are various translations in possession of tradespeople and marketers, and also from experience I know that it often leads to a conflict of conscience for the tradesperson if he is asked for his market ware. After all he (the company) sustains him(it)self by it, which is the difference to a Bhikkhu. The Bhikkhu is not dependent of his "gifts" for his livelihood, doesn't make them his means of sustenance through dependency.

It would be good if Bhante Bodhi would share that which he wants to share in Dhamma, and it would be good if Ven. Bhante Bodhi would accept this invitation to be always able to share and accept over ZzE.

Regarding your questions in detail:

Also, it seems you want to translate my English translations from Pali into English.

We have until now (see Index arrow.gif in regard of Essays and also many suttas here and there, Bhikkhuni-samyutta  vor Example arrow.gif), in the way it has been given to us, also translated various suttas. (See in this regard, point 2), and of course we would gladly continue to do this and invite others as well to share merits with merits and multiply them.

But translations of the Nikayas are already available in German, translated directly from the Pali, so why translate from English into German?

It could be easy requested, why translate in English for anew? There are this and that intentions. Let me tell you (of course it requires trust if you like to know my/our intentions): not for any wordily purpose it is intended to keep the great field of merits tilled and used and to invite others to do punna and participate as well.

And all the requests and invitations are not limited to German or English after all.

Surely there are various translations available on the market, but as far as I have seen there is hardly any which has been given as Dhamma-Dana withouth limitations of giving and sharing the merits further. There is a translation by the valued Neumann, of which, for one, the state of ownership has become unclear, second, they are translations by a layperson, and third, their language is party not understandable today.
There is one translation (as far as I could make it out), crafted together from the translations by the valued Ñanamoli, for which the state of ownership is not clear, owing to the circumstance of Path Press claiming to be heir of the heritage, and furthermore I have already requested and asked from the author, the venerable Ajahn Mettiko, their use as Dhamma-Dana, who relayed to me that this translation is under the ownership of a certain publishing company, and so it has left the frame of generosity and gone into the sphere of the worldly. My experience in requesting from publishing companies (from the point of view of Vinaya and higher conscience not really possible) has shown me that these requests seem to appear as threatening to their existence in a certain way, which of course, if one engages in trade with Dhamma, very well has its justification.

Surely, ever again the Buddha's words also appear in translated form here and there on the market, but these are, for someone who sticks to higher virtue and abstains from trade in Dhamma in particular, not accessible and acceptable, only in the rarest cases given without trade in return.

From this perspective I like to assert that in the German language area there are virtually no translations apart from some few generous single translations by single people here and there through pure generosity.

Although there exists something today like conscious action and direction in regard to sharing Dhamma, only very very rarely does it occur that something is completely consciously given and received. And as the Buddha already implied, without the basis of generosity and the accompanying sincerity and patience, a teaching of Dhamma is not possible, even if some today may deem themselves already in spheres of the higher eightfold path, for the most part this is only for the wish of by-passing worldly necessary tasks.

In the German language area as far as I have seen, apart from a generous currently being worked on translation by a lay woman, from suttas shared by Ven. Ajahn Thanissaro, some singular strewn translations here or there, there exist exclusively market-directed translations, yes, even translations for which worldly translation agencies have been paid (!), and that is not only a shame, but for anyone who feels a little bit committed to the Dhamma, and to righteousness, simply not accessible. Even the taking of Pali scriptures which have not been published for sale, translating these and then selling them, even by Bhikkhus, is very well common practice.

I hope you recognize the necessity for work on the basics on a foundation of unshaken saddha without compromise for this or that deal here and there.

How ever these things are presented here and perhaps rationalized, which after all is always the reason for unskilled action, so are all these four questions even without much thought about the future and entanglements in the past easy to answer, and therefore I would like to ask, even if I have explained some rudiments here, to stay in the present as best as possible, without adding much speculation or assumptions. Because these two extremes will always be those which are to be recognized. The attitude that gifts do not exist, and that one has inherent rights, and the attitude that there is only what is given, without own previous efforts and affording to arrive at this point. In between these points there is the economy of the tradition of the wise.

I also trust that you recognize the venture and the confidence, which I (we) have engaged in here by this questioning and requesting, and we are very well aware that you might with one stroke invalidate all previous deeds and also future deeds in the Dhamma by certain ways of answering, and we accept this, since it is not good to walk a way of compromise and of squirming around. You may therefore contemplate all these questions and disclosures also with the according sense of responsibility and consider them as best as for you possible, even though you can also be sure that we are understanding as well of certain constraints and compulsions. The works here are freely given, and - as opposed to possibly others - nobody will lose a livelihood (whether now good or bad, that be as it may).

Therefore once again right where we are and where it is easiest to act and act in good ways, and I want to assure you that we will even handle a simple acceptance or rejection and accord with best knowledge and conscience, and you will take no responsibility for our future proceedings by that:

1. Venerated Bhante Bodhi, we would like to hand over to you the use of the already existing translations which have been made available in the course of activities on Zugang zur Einsicht, und we would like to heartily invite you to use these, and also the resources without any need for further requests. It would be good if the venerated Bhante Bodhi would accept this invitation.

2. Venerated Bhante Bodhi, we would like to request from you, to ask you, regarding these previous works, based on the gift which we have received from you through many others, that you may give your approval for these, that you approve of it personally as well, and whether you encourage to continue in the same, and certainly striving for an even better and more conscientious, way, and we would like to ask on this behalf for your recognition and blessing, which we will gladly share further. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would satisfy this request.

3. Venerated Bhante Bodhi, we would like to ask you to help us lift, lighten or alleviate certain limitations on the sharing of merits, as far as it lies in your sphere of possibilities, regarding your previous gifts on ZzE. To whatever extent you possess this ability and feel inspired to it. It would be good if Venerable Bhante Bodhi would satisfy this request.

4. Venerated Bhante Bodhi, we would like to ask you to make available whatever you have and would like to be shared in Dhamma teachings or translations for sharing as Dhamma-Dana (without expectation of a reward or return service of any kind, and free of economics), and to invite you to do merit.

In all confidence that you understand these requests and invitations by heart and without liabilities and confidence, if necessary, you would give your considerate thoughts accordingly, I remain in expectation of your respected acknowledgment.

Yours in respect
metta & mudita

Johann

Am 2013-12-15 14:05, schrieb Bhikkhu Bodhi:

Dear Johann,

I am still not sure that I understand your request, but I will guess the meaning and try to address the main points.

1.        If you wish to translate my essays on Access to Insight into German, you are welcome to do so, but on a non-exclusive basis. That is, if other translators wish to translate them, they will be entitled to do so.
2.        If you wish to translate individual suttas from my translations and post them online, you may do so. If the intention is to publish them in book form, you would have to request permission from the original publisher, either Wisdom Publications (for the Nikayas) or Buddhist Publication Society (for my works published by them).
3.        Any changes in the conditions of online distribution you wish to make should be authorized by the online publisher, Access to Insight, Wisdom Publications, or BPS. I do not have the authority to change the conditions.
4.        I do not need copies of the German translations, since I do not read German myself
5.        There are recent translations into German of the Majjhima Nikaya and, I believe, the Anguttara Nikaya (Nyanatiloka/Nyanaponika). Beyerlein Verlag publishes Neumann's old Majjhima translation and the Nyanaponika-Hecker-Geiger Samyutta Nikaya. They also publish my anthology in German translation, "In the Buddha's Words."

I hope I have understood your request. Any reply should be kept short and clear, please.

With kind regards,
    Bhikkhu Bodhi

Datum:   2013-12-15 15:47
Absender:   Johann Brucker ...
Empfänger:   Bhikkhu Bodhi ..

Sadhu!

May all know the great deeds and the possibilities some generous people gave us!
It might be useful for you confidence and possibilities.
Gifts are seldom, so we should use them to make more out if it, more gifts so that it might inspire others to different ways.

Anumodana!

#10 Johann (Hanzze)

Johann (Hanzze)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Access to Insight retires 2013.12.10

Dear Access to Insight readers,

I’ve been touched by the many good wishes I’ve received from you in the last few months since I announced my retirement from Access to Insight. It has been a joy and an honor to share this work with such a supportive, attentive, earnest, and grateful audience of readers and practitioners. Thank you all.

To all of you who have contributed in so many ways over the years to making Access to Insight what it is today, I extend my heartfelt thanks. And I offer a special ­bow of appreciation to those of you who have been quietly reading these pages, putting the Buddha’s teachings into practice, and discovering for yourselves the truths toward which they point.

Although I am retiring, Access to Insight will remain in its present state at www.accesstoinsight.org into the foreseeable future. If you are a webmaster, web designer, web developer, or software developer and you are interested in advancing the use of technology in studying the Dhamma, I invite you to read "A Parting Note to ATI Techies".

I send you all my best wishes for the greatest success in all your wholesome endeavors.

— jtb

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

#11 Johann (Hanzze)

Johann (Hanzze)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

As I just saw...

long time John Bullitt had financed a free search machine for many. Maybe some of you feel inspired to support him that his deed might be multiplied and the share of free dhamma might find its continue without the need to bring it under the worldly usual ways:

1. Requires an internet connection to contact Google Custom Search. Sometime in early 2014, my paid version of this search engine will expire, causing Google to insert advertisements into the search results. To suppress those ads, I strongly recommend that you install an ad-blocker plug-in to your browser, such as AdBlock Plus.

After all, even it is well meant, a Adblocker would not be fair as google seeks for rewards for its deeds.

Edited by Johann (Hanzze), 17 December 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#12 Johann (Hanzze)

Johann (Hanzze)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Or somebody would be inspired by his "A Parting Note to ATI Techies" and helps to develop a search machine that might make ATI and its user more independently.

As far as I had seen, is the earlier developer of sphiper and now maker of sphider+ very supportive and he might be for sure helpful aside of relatively low costs http://www.sphider-plus.eu/ (standard incl. support is 25$ for the software and I don't think it would be very expensive to make some small modifications for Pali issues)

Just thought of how you might be able to forward the merits you have gained for further generations, at least for your self. So that Dhamma might be avaliable as Dhamma gift in your next existence as well. Not all will leave the circle that fast.

Edited by Johann (Hanzze), 17 December 2013 - 06:30 PM.